Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What is the cause....

One moment we are walking through this life, feeding off the environment around us. All in a state of nature where we are the number one priority and nothing else matters in this life except what it is we want. We will do anything it takes to get it. We will move those who stand in our way. Because it is the survival of the fittest, and only the strong survive.... Yet at the same time, something is quite different, a bit unusual, causually out of place..... People are reaching out to one another, they are buying groceries, giving out money, lending a helping hand. What is this? Why is this? I thought we were only supposed to look out for number one? What causes people to change?

I remember at one point in my life I was drinking, partying, having multiple partners, watching dirty movies, listening to awful music, swearing life a sailor, prideful, deceitful, greedy, lustful, envious, malice (keep thinking of bad things, and that was me) But now....I don't do those things anymore. Why? What has happened to me? I remember how great it was to do all those things. the pleasure it brought to me. The joy I felt giving into all the desires of my heart. I mean, that is why I exist right? What is the cause?

There is a dear friend close to me. He and I have had many a great conversations. About life, about love, about God. One day when we were talking, he told me about his sexual struggles with his girlfriend. (First off all, it is ever so surprising when someone admits that something is a "struggle") They are not married but they live together. It was eating him inside to tell me this "awful" thing, probably because he feared I would judge him for it. The fact is, he told me plainly that he was having sex with her, but he really did not want to do it......Does anyone see something wrong with this picture???? A man....a species thats hormones are driven like a V8 engine flexing its power on the Autoban....says that he does not want to have sex. WHO DOES THAT?!? What is the cause?

My question plainly in this first blog of mine is to ask: What causes change in people? Some people claim that people never change, maybe to some degree that is correct but not quite the same in the examples I've given. How can people go from thieves to givers, drunkards to sobers, lustful to pure? This is a great question. What is the answer? What is the cause?

No comments: